Pages

Thursday 29 November 2012

Best Xmas Song Ever... (Pool G)

Either you've arrived here looking for the Thrillson's Throwabout schedule, if so, that's further below. If not, and for some reason you're hear to read my drivel about Xmas Songs, then read on big boy!

Pool G, you'll be pleased to hear, is our penultimate qualification pool, with only Pool H remaining (there are some crackers in there though!).

So, lets pick two out of these lot to progress into the knock-out rounds...


The Darkness - "Don't Let The Bells End"
Bo Selecta - "Proper Crimbo'"
Reuben - "Christmas is Awesome"
East 17 - "Stay Another Day"
Emmy & Tim - "TBC"

You'll see that I've now specified a song by Emmy and Tim, this is largely because the album was new out last year, and I've forgotten which one I like the best. I could have a listen to the album, but it's only November, I restrict my Xmas Song listening to December only. (That's right, all of the videos I've been posting to date, I've not even played, I've just hoped they're the right songs/versions!). So, in actual fact, I'm going to make it easy for myself, and take these guys out of the equation right now. If you haven't heard it however, check it out, its a nice album.

Bo Selecta, remember that? Leigh Francis, back in 2002, whom you probably now know better as Keith Lemon donned some large rubber masks and created spoof parodies of 'celebrities'.

  
Craig Daaaaaaaaavid and Michael Jackson, Shamone!

It wasn't a terrible show, and it's produced a not terrible Christmas single. Pretty fun in fact, with quite a good video. Definitely one of the better modern festive pop tracks. Hot on it's tails however is "Don't Let the Bells End" also a relatively modern (if 2003 is relatively modern!) festive rock song.

The Darkness with Christmas Lights

I kinda like the song, OK, so it's got the high pitched shouty bits sung by the high pitched shouty man, but it's still good. So, let's stick it through, The Darkness  can progress as Pool G Runner-Up.

This leaves Reuben, whom many of you will never of heard of, against the mighty E17, or East 17 as they were probably called at the time. Now in East 17's favour they had snow, massive puffa jackets and their lead singer managed to drive over his own foot. That's talented.

Check out that hood, massive, furry, a furry massive hood!

E17 are up against Reuben, now props to those of you who know the awesome Christmas song, "Christmas is Awesome", it's pretty awesome and it's a Christmas song.

Reuben, not very Christmassy here.

It's a damn fine song, Frank Turner has also done a pretty decent cover on a banjo. Plus it includes the line...

 "And if I eat a sprout, you gotta eat a sprout, you gotta suffer too"


Which I like, for this reason, Reuben are the dark horses of Pool G, causing an upset and topping the group!



Forthcoming Fixtures...
Our last Pool, Pool H, is coming up.
Our five last hopefuls get the chance of progressing to the knock-out stages.
What songs might we have missed?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Reuben don't win this whole thing, I will destroy you...